In this increasingly digital world, businesses are turning to video marketing to get their message across to their target audience. Video is expected to comprise 80% of web traffic by 2021 and businesses are trying to integrate video in their marketing strategies by producing several different types of it.
Think of the explainer video as your company’s elevator pitch for its products or services. It’s a short video that can usually be found on a website’s homepage, landing page or product page. It’s used to help explain the nature of a company’s products or services and their relevance to the market they serve.
Major Types of Explainer Videos
You may be relieved to hear that with explainer videos, you don’t necessarily have to be the one facing the camera. There are several types of explainer videos, including:
- Live action explainer videos: Best for companies selling a physical product or a people-oriented service, such as restaurants or hotels. Having people in the video helps create an emotional connection with the viewers.
- Screencast explainer video: Uses a screen recording to provide a technology walkthrough — ideal for demoing software tools and web applications.
- Animated explainer videos: One of the most popular types of explainer videos, animation is the preferred medium for businesses that want to effectively explain abstract/intangible concepts, such as software and technology. They’re preferred because they’re easier to edit (you don’t have to reshoot footage), should you need to make updates (like if the technology behind your product changes).
- Whiteboard animation videos: This is another type of animated explainer video that’s even easier to create because it usually involves the use of a single color (such as black) throughout, which also makes it cheaper to produce.
Whether you’re looking for help with 2D animation, whiteboard explainer videos, or those involving moving typography, you can find several video animators on Fiverr. If you’re looking for help adding a human element to your explainer video, you can also check out Fiverr’s video spokesperson services.
The 10 Best Examples for Explainer Video
Looking for inspiration to create your own explainer video? These popular examples can help you get in the right mindset to create a concept for your company:
Dollar Shave Club
When discussing explainer video examples, Dollar Shave Club is often brought up. What makes this video great is that the CEO, himself, is introducing the brand and what it does concisely (no beating around the bush!) in their signature snarky/sarcastic/cheeky tone.
DaSilva tells the story behind their brand, shows how they create their boards, and relates that to how they use video content to grow their business.
Mint uses animation to tell the story of what they do, offering a nice contrast from previously mentioned explainer video examples.
The humor behind the Poopourri video is similar to the Dollar Shave Club’s. It works on this type of product because it’s so different – but note that this type of (potty) humor may not work for other products. This explainer video example weaves together a few different mediums: live action video that also makes use of animation to explain the more, uh, sensitive details. It has over 41 million views to date!
One of Veed.me’s first few videos was our own explainer video detailing what we do as a global production marketplace that connects brands with video production companies. Our concept empowers our customers to choose their own superhero, each with a different skill set of their own.
Airbnb uses both live action video and animation to show/explain what Airbnb is and what the perks are for joining and becoming a host.
Aisling Stern is a jewelry company that creates jewelry harnessing positive energy. What makes this particular explainer video effective is that the owner/creator shares her motivations behind why she created the brand, while demonstrating how she creates the jewelry. This explainer video example was created by docyourstory, a Fiverr Pro video maker.
Tellymount is a smartphone holder that you can attach on top of your TV. The video explains and showcases what it can do and how to use it. This explainer video example was made by Luminous Studios, one of the top video makers on Fiverr.
Also from Luminous Studios is this explainer video for Wedding Wire, a destination wedding welcome bag. It’s not a ubiquitous product, so it benefits from an explanatory introduction. The video appeals to the audience (those who appreciate the Pinterest aesthetic) by showcasing how to use the product in a flat lay style video that’s shot from the top. The video notably does not make use of voice-overs but instead uses moving text that the viewer can read and follow along with while watching the video.
The A Button
The A Button’s explainer video, created by Top Fiverr Seller Jmigueln, starts by stating the problem (too much crime) and current solutions, building it up (how taking too long after a crime has happened can distort the events) and then giving a solution (capturing the moment through Periscope via the A Button, for reference).
How to Create the Perfect Explainer Video
Working with a professional means that they’ll take care of the finer details. That said, you’ll get a lot more out of the process if you come in with a plan.
These tips can help you to create an effective explainer video for your brand:
- Start with a script. Do this even before you decide what type of explainer video you want to make. Even if you hire the best and most expensive video creator, beautiful shots and captivating animations won’t make up for a bad story or script. You can hire a professional to write it for you or do it yourself. Fiverr’s script writers can be a great choice and will help you create the specifics around your brand, identify your customer’s concerns, their pain points, and know how to position your product accordingly.
- Choose the production house/video maker you’d like to work with — also voice-over talent, should you need it. If you don’t have a large budget, start with an online marketplace like Fiverr and look through portfolios and reviews to determine your perfect fit.
- Create your video brief. Check out these tips regarding how to write a video brief for the right videographer.
- Keep your video short, simple, and direct to the point. 60 to 100 seconds is enough time to give viewers the basic idea of your brand — you don’t want to go overboard.
- Share. Finally, once it’s complete, share the video on your website and social media!
After you’ve decided on the perfect concept for your explainer video, it’s time to loop in expert help to produce it. Veed.me can connect you with a marketplace of talent who have already been vetted by thousands of users! Browse portfolio examples and get in touch with your perfect fit video producer.
Did we miss an awesome explainer video example that you’re dying to share? Drop a link in the comments.
Don’t Forget to Share this Post!